It costs around £60,000 per year to run the team efficiently. Much of this money is spent on equipment which includes maintaining our Rescue Base in Newton Stewart and our fleet of four rescue vehicles.
In addition, each of our 4 vehicles needs replacing every 10-12 years at a cost of approximately £60,000 for a new vehicle every 3 years.
UK mountain rescue teams are mostly voluntary charitable organisations who rely upon public support to provide an emergency service. Sponsorship and public support are important to maintain our search and rescue service. We acknowledge the grant funding we receive from the Scottish Government and Scottish Mountain Rescue, however this falls considerably short of the financial resources we need to continue our voluntary work.
Our Team Base and 4×4 personnel carrier (Galloway Victor) were generously funded by the Order of St John Scotland as part of their national ongoing support for Mountain Rescue across Scotland.
Team Members get involved with a number of fundraising activities including:
- Flag Days in our larger towns, namely Newton Stewart, Castle Douglas & Ayr
- Sponsored events
- Event support like the annual Newton Stewart Walking Festival
- Donations from businesses, charities and other organisations
- Member sponsored challenges such as the SWNE Scotland Charity Cycle
- Public donations via our many collection boxes located in shops, hotels and visitor centre, or online donation
We are extremely grateful to the communities across Galloway and South Ayrshire for the continued support. Every £1 we receive really does make a difference.
How can you as an individual, business or organisation help to support our work? You’d be surprised what a difference even a small contribution can make to our life saving missions.
- We will never do door to door collections and we will never ask you to share any bank details with us when we are out in the community or by phone.
- If we are collecting the community, these will be advertised events and all Team Members will be in GMRT uniform with ID.
- If anyone becomes aware of collections on our behalf which they are unsure about, please contact us either via Facebook Messenger (private message) or via our website.
How we might spend your donation…
When considering a donation to the team, many ask “What equipment do you actually need, and how much does that cost?”
Truthfully, that’s a bit of an uncomfortable question to answer, since we don’t want to presume what you might like to donate. We have however come up with an idea we hope will be a solution to any unnecessary embarrassment.
Our ‘Wish List’ below is an attempt to give you an indication of how your very kind donation could be spent. We hope you find this initiative useful to get a flavour for how future fund raising income will be spent.